The Most Powerful Prayers For Victory: Our Prodigal’s Breakthrough
Is real victory and breakthrough in our prodigal’s life possible?
Yes, when we commit to praying God’s Word over their lives, victory is ours. The timing is always left up to God, but praying these promises will have an impact in the process. The top 10 prayers you can pray for victory in your prodigal’s breakthrough are powerful because they come straight from the Bible. When we pray His Word over our kid’s lives, we are coming into alignment with all God desires for them. Fortunately, there’s a bonus to gain; in doing so, we receive the peace that passes all understanding, the answers we so desperately need, and the presence of God will abound.
Don’t worry, be faith-filled when praying for your prodigal’s breakthrough.
Don’t be pulled in different directions or worried about a thing. Be saturated in prayer throughout each day, offering your faith-filled requests before God with overflowing gratitude. Tell him every detail of your life, then God’s wonderful peace that transcends human understanding, will make the answers known to you through Jesus Christ. So keep your thoughts continually fixed on all that is authentic and real, honorable and admirable, beautiful and respectful, pure and holy, merciful and kind. And fasten your thoughts on every glorious work of God, praising him always…and the God of peace will be with you in all things. Philippians 4: 6-9 (TPT)
PRAY THESE SCRIPTURES TO BRING THE BREAKTHROUGH
- First, pray for the day of your understanding to come quickly. This ushers in their breakthrough sooner. Ask God to bring about the change we desire now. While we don’t always understand what God’s up to, but we can trust in His character and timing. SCRIPTURE: Jesus replied, “You don’t understand now what I am doing, but someday you will.” John 13:7 (NLT)
- Secondly, pray for your prodigal to know the truth of God’s Word when they hear it. Praying for discernment of evil or false teaching to fall off and truth to be revealed is critical to their progress. Also, pray they know their future and hope is from God and for the fire of the Holy Spirit to fall afresh. SCRIPTURE: Yes. Believe it or not, this is the Message from God-of-the-Angel-Armies, Israel’s God: “Don’t let all those so-called preachers and know-it-alls who are all over the place there take you in with their lies. Don’t pay any attention to the fantasies they keep coming up with to please you. They’re a bunch of liars preaching lies—and claiming I sent them! I never sent them, believe me… I’ll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I’ll listen.” Jeremiah 29:9-12 (MSG)
The prodigal’s name is written on the palm of God’s hand
Thirdly, we pray they remember their names are written on the palm of God’s hand and be confident He never forgets them. Pray for their return and for God-encounters where there’s no mistake God intervened and met them in their place of greatest need. SCRIPTURE: Yet Jerusalem says, “The Lord has deserted us; the Lord has forgotten us.” “Never! Can a mother forget her nursing child? Can she feel no love for the child she has borne?
But even if that were possible, I would not forget you!
See, I have written your name on the palms of my hands. Always in my mind is a picture of Jerusalem’s walls in ruins. Soon your descendants will come back, and all who are trying to destroy you will go away. Look around you and see, for all your children will come back to you. Isaiah 49:14-18
Absolutely, pray they will see God’s goodness instead of the demanding father figure some have made Him out to be in this world. God is good. He is faithful. When our children can see His goodness in their everyday circumstances, it draws them back towards the loving Father He truly is for them. SCRIPTURE: I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:13-14 (NIV)
[bctt tweet=”Breakthrough comes when the lies of the enemy are broken over our prodigal’s lives.” username=”amyelainewrites”]
- Pray your prodigal’s breakthrough from believing the lies of the enemy and of this world. May they come to put their confidence in God as a sure thing. Pray for consequences to be quick and the learning to take place the first time around. When they feel the sting of being backed into a corner due to the consequences of their behavior, may they know the freedom they once knew in Christ. SCRIPTURE: Out of my deep anguish and pain I prayed, and God, you helped me as a father. You came to my rescue and broke open the way into a beautiful and broad place. Now I know, Lord, that you are for me, and I will never fear what man can do to me. For you stand beside me as my hero who rescues me. I’ve seen with my own eyes the defeat of my enemies. I’ve triumphed over them all! Lord, it is so much better to trust in you to save me than to put my confidence in someone else.
Yes, it is so much better to trust in the Lord to save me than to put my confidence in celebrities. Once I was hemmed in and surrounded by those who don’t love you. But by Yahweh’s supernatural power I overcame them all! Psalm 118: 5-10 (TPT)
Breakthrough will come, keep praying.
- Pray for your prodigal’s breakthrough by praying they become heart-sick at their sin. When hearts break, God notices. Psalm 51 is a David’s Psalm of repentance after some of his most grievous sins. Praying our children will know how their sin hurts God’s heart, not ours, will bring the heart change that brings the change of behavior we so desire. SCRIPTURE: Going through the motions doesn’t please you, a flawless performance is nothing to you. I learned God-worship when my pride was shattered.
Heart-shattered lives ready for love don’t for a moment escape God’s notice. Psalm 51:16-17 (MSG)
- Sometimes, what they need is a course-correction to meet them head-on as they are going in the wrong direction. Pray for breakthrough and turn-around in their lives. Pray they remember the foundational truths you taught them as a child. And, if you didn’t teach them those kind of things when they were young, don’t worry. Pray for teachable moments where you can speak truth over their lives and show them a new way. SCRIPTURE: Teach a child how to follow the right way; even when he is old, he will stay on course. Proverbs 22:6 (VOICE)
- Moreover, pray they will know their identity in Christ. If you want to see a breakthrough, begin to speak life over your prodigal. Your words make a difference. Call things out of them they can’t see yet. Pray they will see themselves as God sees them. SCRIPTURE: Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother’s womb. I thank you, High God—you’re breathtaking! …I am marvelously made! …You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body… The days of my life all prepared before I’d even lived one day. Psalm 139: 16 (MSG) *really the entire chapter
The Presence of God brings the Breakthrough
- Furthermore, pray your prodigal feels God’s presence. Remembering God carries us through the toughest times brings both hope and breakthrough. Also, pray they remember they are never alone. Prayers to know God as the Good Shepherd result in a change in their mindset, instead of poverty to see His provision. Also, pray they will know His voice. Remind yourself what God’s Word promises. SCRIPTURE: He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. Isaiah 40:11 (NIV) My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. John 10:27-29 (NKJV)
Finally, #10 The most powerful prayer for victory in your prodigal’s breakthrough may not be what you think.
Fortunately, this is the place we can make the biggest difference in our prodigal’s lives. By letting love rule the day, we make the way for the breakthrough to begin.
It wasn’t religion that brought this prodigal (me) back to Jesus.
Here’s an excerpt from my most recent post, How to Win the Battle for Your Prodigal’s Heart: (click to read the entire blog post)
Honestly, it was all about a relationship with Him. There was a distinct moment where I finally understood He saw my sin and loved me anyway. Unfortunately, we need more than a “fix-it Jesus!” prayer. We need to press in and pray for deliverance, transformation, and a radical God-encounter. So, this is why I say… “Praying for our kids to lose their religion may just be the most powerful and effective prayer we can pray!” Surprisingly, praying for our prodigals to lose their religion may just be the prayer that works. Why? Because just Jesus is what they need and want. Prodigals ignore the rules when they are hanging out in their rebellion.
One encounter with God brings the breakthrough we long for in their lives.
Most importantly, with this prayer, we can strip away the false doctrines, lies, and misconceptions they’ve owned along the way. By praying scripture over their lives, we can break down strongholds and prepare the way for them to come back home.
Actually, the most powerful prayer for breakthrough in your prodigal’s life comes when they themselves break free from all the lies they’ve believed about their parent’s religion and come to know this truth for themselves. May our prodigals know Him, trust Him, and believe Him to be all He says He is; for, He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Amen and amen. Yes, let it be so.
SCRIPTURE: Jesus explained, “I am the Way, I am the Truth, and I am the Life. No one comes next to the Father except through union with me. To know me is to know my Father too.
In closing, I am praying for your prodigal today. Will you pray for mine? And, please share your story with me by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org because we are better together and stronger when we pray for one another.
Living in Victory,
© Amy Elaine Martinez and AmyElaine.com, 2018. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Amy Elaine Martinez and AmyElaine.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Leave a Comment
Why not subscribe and join the Victory Girl Movement?
We have a whole page of powerful quotes and verses to encourage you to victory, and we'd love for you to have a copy! These are our Victory Girl Reminders - created just for you. Grab yours now!
Amy, thank you so much for this! My “prodigal” came home but I have several friends who are still struggling with the sorrow of their prodigals. I forwarded this to them and they have been encouraged. Thank you!
Shelly, Oh, that’s such great news to hear! There is hope for all of us. Thank you for sharing your story and for sending this on to the people in your life that need to hear they’re not alone. I pray it will encourage their hearts and bring them comfort. xoxo